Sunday, September 13, 2009

Creating Environments

The entire show was well done and incredibly fascinating. There was an incredible amount of variety and manipulation done from all artists and angles. I found myself paying more attention to details, craftsmanship, and realizing that most of these artists have this unreal ability to create an entirely new environment or atmosphere. I liked the combination of being in a super small and dark room and listening to a soothing voice while watching images of birds and graphics, and then moving on to an enlarged photo of a used legal pad.

Having the opportunity to have done research before entering, see work I’ve only ever seen in books or online, in person, and then listen to the artists speak was all around a captivating experience. Patrick Nagatani’s work left me feeling relaxed and inspired. I loved being lost in the lines and borders, following them as if they were a path, or trail. How I personally reacted to the tape was tell tale in how he may want his audience to react.

I felt like I was the audience he wanted. The craftsmanship in his tape use was important. One small whoops or nub that stuck out inappropriately would have ruined that type of experience. I also enjoyed the subject matter. It goes hand in hand with Zen, meditation, and being lost in lines and thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment