Sunday, September 13, 2009

One subtle theme

One major theme I discovered through attending the exhibit as well as the round table discussion was the importance of Robert Heinecken in many of the artists’ lives. When I viewed all of Robert’s pieces in the exhibit, I wanted to speak with him; I had so many questions! However, I was disheartened to learn that he had just passed away two years ago. Upon auditing the round table discussion, I heard artist after artist mention Robert in the making of their careers. Patrick Nagatani, who I had spoken to the night before expressed how wonderful Robert had been in his life and what a great mentor he had been. When one of the artists, whose name I neglected to catch, began to tear up when reminiscing about Robert, I really recognized his significance in the lives of the artists’ but photo history as well. As much as the exhibit displayed twelve artists’ talents, I felt that the subtle purpose of the exhibit was to honor Robert. He influenced many of the artists at the exhibit and therefore, I think there was a little bit of Robert Heinecken in each piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment