Sunday, September 13, 2009

Residual Reality Exhibition

First, I was really impressed at the attendance of this exhibition. I think this is every artist’s dream; a packed gallery filled with so much excitement and people from different walks of life. The diversity was mirrored in the artwork, and really sparked a lot of passion and interest from students and faculty alike, and I overheard several conversations between students who were excited and talking about the meanings behind the images they were seeing. And what an opportunity to be able to rub elbows with the original (and highly acclaimed artists) themselves, standing right beside the work they had created.
I thought the Q & A panel the following day was great follow up to the previous night’s gallery opening. Before this exhibition I’m not sure I truly realized how one artist’s (Heinecken) teachings could really affect the work of so many-all connected by the lineage, but very different from each other. I really appreciated the artist’s personal stories (and connections) to Robert Heinecken.
I was really struck by a comment Ken Josephson made at how “all of these stories are about interpersonal relationships” and that that was what making art “was all about”. I really appreciate the idea that although formal and technical training is crucial in creating our art, it was ultimately tempered by our individual perspectives on life, and those who influence those views. I was a little disappointed that we ran out of time in the first half of the panel Q & A, but really valued the experience, and considered this exhibition a true success!

No comments:

Post a Comment