Sunday, September 13, 2009

Residual Reality Experience

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the gallery! I knew I would like it, but there were a few pieces that really intrigued me. Min Kim Park's series "Zumarella" spoke to me on a more artistic level than feminist. I really enjoyed her use of color in her photographs. The women looked so saturated in contrast to the simple black background, giving me the impression of a comic book. I unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to ask the artists my questions, but I was wondering how much of the photograph she choreographs, and how much does she leave up to the women in her portraits? "Maggie" was my favorite of this series. Her face looks so determined and focused, though I know that pose to be extremely difficult (thanks to Min Kim Park's video).

Overall the show was a great success! Opening night was great to experience because I got to see other people's interactions with the art. I enjoyed watching the interaction of people in the room with Joseph Mougel's "In Character" because many people weren't sure how to act. Some individuals spoke to those in the little screens, hoping perhaps they'd say something back or make some movement. Eventually the little screen people would comply, but they gave such an awkward performance it was uncomfortable to stay around them too long.

The theme wasn't at first apparent to me when viewing the gallery show, but the round table discussion made one clear to me: mentors. Every artist could talk in length about who inspired them, who drove them to think outside the box, who overall was a great support in their success. Many of the senior artists quoted Heinecken as their mentor, while the younger artists tended to state those artists at the show who had worked with Heinecken! It was fun to compare the art of the Heinecken artists to those they inspired, both in what direction they took their art and what new technologies they younger artists would incorporate that perhaps the more senior artists wouldn't. The advancement of ideas and technologies is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment