Sunday, September 13, 2009

Residual Reality Foster Gallery

As I observed the artwork at Residual Reality, I thought about how I would have never placed some of these things as art. They are so ordinary, yet when I looked at them they didn’t seem ordinary at all. I think that is why I like photography so much. I love how you can use so many kinds of media to document objects, people, or actions in everyday life. I feel this exhibit pointed out that almost everything in life can be art. For example I loved Joyce Neimanas’s scanned objects. I love how she takes ordinary objects and turns them into amazing photographs. Her pieces point out this very idea of everyday life being beautiful.

The next day at the round table, as Jyl Kelley was introducing the panel, she said that this exhibit shows a different way of thinking of photography. I wrote this down because this struck me to be very true. I would have never thought about the pieces in this show as being photography. They aren’t just a picture taken of something. They are much more than that. They are done with scanners, or using someone else’s photography like most of Robert Heinecken’s pieces in the show. Residual Reality broadened my view of typical photography and from now on I will view photography in a whole new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment