Friday, September 11, 2009

Residual Reality Opening

The Residual Reality exhibition in the Foster Gallery was a very enjoyable experience. This was the first exhibit that I have attended on campus and I found it very interesting. I never thought of photography as so diverse before. I thought it was amazing that the gallery was actually physically changed to help suit the artwork being displayed.

My favorite piece was Gillian Brown's "The Beginning of Language." This piece was particularly interesting to me because I am an English major and we do quite a bit of study on phonetics and the movement of the vocal cords when speaking. The very day of the opening we were discussing how vowels are formed when we speak. The way the vibrations turned into flying birds was absolutely beautiful. I also found Masumi Shibata's "Keeping Time" very thought provoking. Each point on the clock was replaced with either the work "inhale" or "exhale." This piece made me think of how much we depend on time and how our lives are based on a schedual. I truley enjoyed all of the peices in the show and am very glad that I was able to experience them.

No comments:

Post a Comment