Monday, September 14, 2009

Residual Reality Reflection

With a show so rich in diversity of artists and ideas, it is hard to figure out where to begin discussing such a well put together show. While linked by contemporary photography, the show at first glance seemed kind of incoherent otherwise. It was not until the gallery talk the following day that I truly understood all of the amazing connections these artists had and what their work really meant to them. I agreed with Patrick Nagatani at the gallery talk and his explanation of the value in interpersonal relationships—not only in art but in life. Every artist had their own unique ideas but they were so inspired from one another’s hard work and passion for photography. Those were the things that carried them past the failures—not just their work alone. This makes me want to stay involved in the art community and value the advice I get from peers and mentors while it is at my fingertips.

The way the gallery itself was set up was very appropriate for the works displayed; I hope more shows continue to be set up this way. Just as far as set up goes, whether intentional or not, I found it very intriguing that most artists works were placed together except for Robert Heinecken, who was the overarching inspiration to nearly every artist who spoke at the gallery talk, was scattered throughout the entire show; this was a great way to symbolize physically the web these artists wove. As these artists learned so much from each other, and especially from Robert Heinecken, I also tried to find bits of artists works that spoke to me based on my personal art works so that I could try to learn from these artists. I wish I could have spoke to more of the artists but it was quite busy at the show when I went; I feel like you always learn more about an artist by hearing directly from them, although its nice to make your own connections as well.

In Joyce Neimanas works, like “Back of a Famous Picture” (2009), I related most with the texture and intimacy of the pieces. With Patrick Nagatani, and works from the show like “Jizo” I most appreciated the detail especially when close up to the surface and the use of mixed media. The one artist I was lucky to talk to and also really admired his work was Daniel Kaufmann. I really love using collage in my own works and I learned that he organizes his pieces by cataloguing on his computer all of his imagery which are personal photographs from stores and rooms. He told me that he “became the target of conventions” when he got married and had children, and his life and artwork started to become intertwined and found he could not separate the two. I really enjoyed how in Kaufmann’s work one also needed to look close to see the full effect of the photo, like “#6 House Home Series” (2007), otherwise it fooled the eye. These three artists used a sort of ‘trickery’ and had a sense of mystery in their works that made me want to dig deeper, which very much fits the title of the show “Residual Reality.”

Jenny Herman

No comments:

Post a Comment