Monday, September 14, 2009

Residual Reality Thoughts

After researching each artist and attending the show, I had a good grasp on each artist's style and technique. I did not, however, completely understand the meaning behind each piece of the various artists. I was looking forward to the roundtable discussion for an explanation of the thought processes involved in some of the artwork on display. The major focus of the roundtable discussion was the lineage behind conceptual photography that began with Ken Josephson and Robert Heinecken. I thought this was very interesting and displayed the power of the mentor and student relationship. I could only stay for a couple questions from the audience that helped explain particular pieces but I had wished there had been more time alotted for questions. Overall, I was pleased with the experience.

I really liked Robert Heinecken's sequences of Polaroids, especially "Lessons in Posing Subjects/Fantasy Narrative." This piece told a narrative story behind the body language of a couple from the time they met, began to feel comfortable, and fell in love. Anyone who looks at the sequence could make up one's own interpretation maybe based on one's own experience but also one's fantasy. Patrick Nagatani's taped Buddhist piece were very appealing. From a distance the image is softened by the tape but up close and personal the image shows its complexity and dimension through the tape. I admire Nagatani's dedication to his life's work and his work effort. From the roundtable, it definately sounds like he is well respected and admired.

No comments:

Post a Comment