Friday, September 11, 2009

Residual Reality

Although I'm in my third year as an art major, I have to admit that this was the very first gallery opener that i've attended and I'm so glad that I did! The atmosphere was lively, the gallery was overflowing with people and overall, I just really enjoyed seeing the final product of everyone's hard work.

The piece that captivated my attention the most was by Robert Heinecken; entitled TV Dinner. I found it very interesting in how Mr. Heinecken was able to photograph a TV dinner, bring it to a three dimensional form, and top it off by incorporating real cigarettes and ashes. For me, it was just a whole new way to think about photography in comparison to just snapping an image and voila there you have it.

Another piece that I found quite interesting was Miroku, by Patrick Nagatami. It is difficult to try to fathom exactly how much time must have gone into creating that piece. Layer after layer of maticulously layed tape strips cut away into a beautiful mask for viewers to look through. It was beautiful to say the least.

Overall, my experience with Residual Reality has been a learning experience that I can take away and apply to my own future works and I am thankful for that. I would like to add that through attending the gallery opener I found myself wondering what the artists might be like. Through their work, I understood that they were very passionate about what they do. However, it wasn't until this morning, during the round table discussion, that I was truely able to understand how passionate they really are about their work, how they apply it to everyday life, and ultimately how they pass on their trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment