Sunday, September 13, 2009

Residual Reality

When the concept of the Residual Reality show was first introduced, I questioned how photography was being used and if I could understand the ideas these artists were using. However, after seeing some of the artwork at the opening, my mind was changed. The impact of some of the pieces were just as strong as of other conventional photography I have experienced. Patrick Nagatani's Quan Shi Yin initially drew me to it because its aesthetic quality from across the room, I noticed as I got closer than it was constructed using masking tape. This process was noticably meticulous and time consuming. It seems that Nagatani gained respect from his viewers unintentionally simply for his patience and skill in his technique. All of the artists in the show produced beautiful works and I only appreciated them more hearing from the artists themselves at the round table discussion the following day. The hard work and emotion put into this exhibition really allowed it to be impressive and impactful on me as a viewer.

The work of Nim Kim Park was particularily interesting to me to me for several reasons. First, as a woman, its easy to respect another woman portraying our strength. Her use of superhero costumes and real women posing in her work was especially impactful. It portrayed women as having any place in society they choose and having the strength to get there. I also think that preserving and respecting heritage is a valued concept and Park also openly uses her culture as inspiration and meaning behind many of her works. In Residual Reailty, her pieces immediately grabbed my attention and focus. Overall, I'm glad I got to experience this exhibit and I was truly impressed with the hard work and emotion the went into every piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment