Sunday, September 13, 2009

Residual Reality

Attending the Residual Reality exhibit was an entirely new experience for me. I have never been to a photography exhibit, much less one that focuses on using preexisting photos to create art work. The artists in this show provided a diverse sample of what kind of art photographs can create. It was especially helpful to have seen the work in class and on the website prior to actually going to the show. Knowing a little about the artists also helped me better understand what each artist was trying to accomplish.
Min Kim Park was my favorite artist in the show. Her prints were so large and captured my attention longer than any of the other exhibits. I particularly liked her "Jin Young" photo for it's seeming simplicity. I wasn't sure what Park was trying to convey, but the subject's facial expression, posture, and clothing captured my imagination. Another exhibit I liked was Mougel's "In Character" display. The people standing in their individual boxes reminded me of what it's like to look at a stranger in public, but with out the shame of staring too long. It made me think of people in our society and what's acceptable or not regarding face to face interactions with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment